Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Adam's 30th Birthday Toilet Cake!

If you know my husband you know that he's fascinated with the noises and nastiness that comes out of your...behind. If you didn't know that, well, now you do. Haha! It's one of the many reasons I love him and all of his random/awkwardness.

So in March he turned 30. I had this big surprise party planned, his friends and I had secretly all pitched in to fly his best friend in from California and the only thing he thought we were doing was going out to dinner and seeing if a few people maybe wanted to come over afterwards for a few drinks and to hang out.

I had it worked out that our older 2 boys would stay the night at Maimai's house (my mom) and everyone would be at the house while we were at dinner. I made our dinner reservations, we took the baby with us, I made sure the waiter was aware it was his birthday so they'd embarrass him by singing to him (and also to buy some time) and then we stopped at the liquor store on the way home for some beer "just in case we had a couple people over" :).

SURPRISE!!! We came through the garage like usual, everyone was SO quiet inside (I sent the warning text that we were down the street), and in he came to about 15-20 people in our house! As if that weren't overwhelming enough I told him to turn around and out came his best friend Rachel from the bathroom by the garage! Ahhhh it was just perfect, and man was he disoriented haha!

So I started to put his party together a couple of weeks before his birthday. My friend Trisha and I would talk about the plans and how she'd help decorate and get things together, let people in etc. and one day she sent me a picture of a toilet cake....with a turd in the middle...and it said "Crap You're Old". What?!? Anyone that knows Adam knows that is just perfect! So we started to entertain the idea of making it ourselves and figured we'd give it a try.

My plan was to go to her house that Thursday (his party was the next day) and have a "baking day", this is pretty typical for us so Adam wouldn't suspect a thing! We had all of the stuff we needed, we'd just do some box cake mix to make it easier and we got to creating!

Here is what we created:





I just love it!! We are not professionals by any means, this is the most intricate thing we've done regarding cake decorating, but we were pretty dang proud of ourselves!

Not that you need directions or a recipe to do this but I'll give you the gist of what we did:

*Baked 2 boxed mixes according to box directions, one in 9x13 pan and 2 in 8" round pans
*Let cool, cut 9x13 cake in half
*Frost top of one rectangle and stack second rectangle on top of frosted rectangle to make stick
*Frost around entire "tank" of toilet
*Place circle cake in front, cut a shallow hole in center of circle cake to make room for "water" and frost entire circle, including the cut-out hole
*Dye some frosting with some blue food coloring and put some in center of hole cut-out of toilet bowl
*Trisha had some chocolate covered almonds she put in the microwave for a few seconds to melt a little and that's what we used for the "turd" but I'm sure there are a ton of different options :)
*Use black frosting can to make the writing and the toilet handle

Seriously not a whole lot of work put into this but it turned out SO great and it was just perfect for my Adam :)

Now go make yourself a toilet cake! Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment